Friday 19 March 2010

Wikipedia

When I started my career in the field of Library and Information Science, I was introduced to the idea that Wikipedia was the Library Professional's worst enemy and I still occasionally notice this antipathy towards it. Although I acknowledge that some degree of animosity towards Wikipedia is justified due to questionable issues of reliability and accuracy, and also due to the fact that concensus appears to prevail over reputable credentials as a result of the nature of the site, I still use it on a fairly regular basis.

I am not ashamed of this type of information seeking behaviour of mine as I trust my ability to use the information I retrieve wisely and I often look at the list of references associated with the article. However, I have to admit that when I seek authoritative information on a particular subject, I don't even contemplate the possibility of having a very quick peek at Wikipedia...

No comments:

Post a Comment