Wednesday 17 February 2010

Delicious (Part II)

After having added other Delicious users to my network, I was able to explore their bookmarks and although I was glad to be made aware of some of their recommendations, I felt rather overwhelmed by the sheer number of resources available on their pages. I fully appreciate the importance of adding tags and a few descriptive notes in order to better organise websites and quickly retrive them when necessary.

I also subscribed to RSS feeds from another user and briefly tested the Delicious network explorer. I felt that the service was rather entertaining but I don't think I will use it often if ever again. I can see how the "six degrees of separation" theory can be applied and theoretically you would be able to find new people with similar interestes by following the lines but you are also likely to find people who are there just because they happen to have some kind of connection by no means related to the areas in which you are investigating.

Having said that, the possibility of adding people to your network and of keeping track of their latest bookmarks is a very useful feature indeed. Delicious can easily be used as a marketing tool to promote existing library services (as well as to advertise new ones) simply by recommending webpages that highlight current aspects of library provision, by linking to review pages of the latest book acquisitions or simply by maintaining a proactive web presence. And the latter in particular should never be underestimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment