Wednesday 24 February 2010

Podcasts


My experience with podcasts had been somewhat limited until I accomplished Thing 11 this week. I had subscribed to some "Lost" podcasts a few years ago using iTunes and I remember I was particularly impressed with the advantages of the new-then technology; however, I was not as enthusiastic with the content I received and cancelled my subscription soon afterwards. I also know that one of the WISER sessions I co-presented was made into a podcast but don't know how that turned out...

I explored all the sites recommended and subscribed to receive RSS feeds from them; not only because I was particularly interested in all the subjects, but mainly because I was committed to experiencing all the different ways of subscribing on offer. Some podcasts created by Oxford University Computer Services are useful and, when I ventured out of the realms of the recommended sites, I found that the podcast "How do I use the Library?" by Oxford Brookes University is also a valuable resource.

Podcasts are basically broadcasts on demand and they are easily available to receive as well as to produce. I have learned the extent to which this form of broadcasting information opens up new opportunities for the dissemination of knowledge, the promotion of organisational services and, last but by no means least, the satisfaction of the public's entertainment needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment