Tuesday 2 February 2010

Google Reader


Once I created an account with Google reader, I was able to subscribed to RSS feeds from a mixture of blogs and websites. I found the step-by-step instructions provided on the 23 Things Oxford blog very clear and easy to follow, and had no problems to start receiving updates both from sites where subscriptions to feeds were apparent and from those whose the copying and pasting of the feed's URL was necessary. I have to admit that the biggest challenge I encountered was actually finding the rather inconspicuous RSS links "Posts (Atom)" on the other 23 Things participants' blogs!

Some of the blogs I discoverd using the UK Library Blogs Wiki were very interesting, particularly those under the Chartership Blogs category as I am currently working to become a Chartered Member of CILIP.

Finally I followed the suggestions given to explore additional features; I grouped my subscriptions into two folders, added stars to some feeds and, after having changed the "sharing settings" accordingly, I decided to share an item with friends (I just need to add some friends on here now!).

I recognise the relevance and effectiveness of some of the Google Reader's features when applied to the context of the library and the services they deliver. On a more personal level, however, I will now be able to access information provided by a few LIS (and music) blogs and websites easily with the added advantage of being certain that no new posts nor pieces of news will ever be missed.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're getting on really well with RSS feeds Cesar. I'm glad to hear some people working through the exploring further suggestions too.

    I find with RSS feeds the only way to manage the volume of content and prioritise reading is to use the organisation tools Google Reader offers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Cesar - thanks for the tip about "Posts (Atom)". I was struggling with that myself until I read your post!

    ReplyDelete