Wednesday 24 February 2010

YouTube

OK, if there is a Thing as part of the programme so far with which I feel very confortable as a user is YouTube and, judging by the number of YouTube members, I believe I'm not the only one who has been using the leader of online video-sharing on a regular basis since its foundation in 2005.

Having said that and although I had investigated the wide range of Channels available, I was not aware of the existence of YouTube EDU. This is very significant as it reveals the fact that I tend to use YouTube for entertainment purposes only... So I felt it would be most beneficial for me to explore that channel for the accomplishment of this Thing.

I remember the headlines back in 2006 when Google could face the copyright nightmare charges after having bought YouTube and that piece of news highlighted the fact to me that Law is typically one step behing Technology. Althought some may argue that more effective measures could have been applied to pirated material such as discreet video watermarking for example, YouTube and Google have instigated partnership deals with major content providers such as BBC and Sony Music Group, and have also claimed that they act fully within the law, based on general "fair use" standards and the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) to ensure that copyright protection works in the digital age. The heated debate continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment